Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Longing For Home

Holiday candles are what tug at me the most. The sights and especially smells of Christmas make me long for home and for family. My home in Arlington is so jam packed with Christmas decorations that you can barely walk, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It makes me sad to know that the holidays are troubled times for many families. Though it hasn't always been great most years, being with my family during the holidays brings moments of great relief.

Yet, I can't help but think of our true and final home when I think of a longing for home and especially for rest. I desire to be home so I can relax and not have the weight of a frustrating job, endless paperwork, applications galore, and other anxieties on my shoulders. Yet, only after a few days I have to return to those things. How much more freeing and gratifying will our final rest in Heaven be where all our endless doing ceases. While I wait a couple more days for the shadows of Heaven at home I meditate on that true rest to come. So I'll light a candle and pray, "Jesus, come quickly."

1 comment:

D.O. said...

Oh man, I have a very vivid picture in my head of your A-town house at Christmas time. I'd forgotten about it, but when you mentioned it there, it came like a punch in the brain...

I forgot when you said you'd be in town, but you should call me when you are. That way we can at least say we tried.